« back to listing
FCA – Vehicle dynamics performance engineer
Auburn Hills, MI, USA
The primary responsibility of the Vehicle Dynamics Performance Engineer is to achieve the vehicle team's functional objectives; determine appropriate targets; and lead the ride, handling and steering development of vehicles.
The selected candidate will work with a cross-functional team. This position will serve as a lead engineer to specify components for tires, steering and suspension, to meet program performance targets, using a combination of simulation, objective testing and subjective methods. Subjective evaluation of ride, steering, and handling performance, as well as objective measurement of certain attributes will be required.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the execution and documentation of development activities and presentation of results to senior management (MRs, VIRs, SRs, URs), as well as coordination of prototype vehicles, tuning components and union mechanic activities.
Handling testing can be physically demanding. A significant amount of travel is required during the winter months, approximately 2-3 weeks each month. Time split between Chelsea, MI, and Auburn Hills, MI.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an ABET-accredited university
• 8 years of combined professional experience in the fields of engineering, vehicle development or motorsports
• 3 years of relevant experience in steering/suspension/tire release and development or vehicle dynamics development
• Strong ability to synthesize data and clearly present data to senior leadership
• Ability to lead and proven team-building skills
• High-performance driving experience and proficiency
• Vehicle ride and handling subjective evaluation experience
• Strong understanding of automotive steering and suspension components and function
• Experience in automotive ride and handling development
• Licensed to operate vehicles at limit on closed tracks and facilities
• Data acquisition and data processing skills
• Strong understanding of vehicle dynamics theory and application
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Organized, self-motivated, work as required supporting projects
• Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc)
• Flexibility to work either at the Proving Grounds in Chelsea, MI or at the Tech Center in Auburn Hills
• Ability to travel, 2-3 weeks at a time during winter months (travel of 21-40% is yearly avg)
FCA US is proud to extend to its employees a compensation and benefits package that is designed to retain their talent and to motivate and reward job performance. Our present compensation program provides for competitive, market-based salaries, and annual vacation and holiday time off. We make available a comprehensive healthcare benefits plan which, depending upon the employee’s role, includes medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage. We also offer a disability absence plan, group and optional life insurance program, savings plan, tuition assistance, and vehicle purchase and lease discounts for certain employees, and for their family and friends.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Note: Some of the benefits listed above may not apply to summer vacation replacement and temporary employees.